Gerry

It happens on more than one file. All on a network drive (Does the same if
the files are copied to the local drive).

As for the environment variables (same error happens even when logged in as
administrator). I also changed to a directory EVERYONE has access to and
still the error.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

Sorry, I think I completely misread your message - can't think now why I
thought it was anything to do with lock files!

I see Beth Melton has answered a similar question thus:

You need to check your "Environment Variables" on the Advanced tab in System
Properties. It sounds like the Temp folder is either invalid or it points to
folder you don't have sufficient permissions for.

Does this help?

Is this happening on every file, or one specific file?

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Gerry" wrote in message
Nope Didn't work either!

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

You need to get rid of the lock files. See he

http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Gerry" wrote in message
I am getting this error when I load a file in Word 2000.

"Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment
variable."

Running on Win 2000 Pro.

Tried everything I could find on the MS site - nothing works.

Help!

Thanks