Document Map is on the View menu in every version of Word in which DM exists
(it is probably also on your Standard toolbar). If you're not seeing it on
your View menu, it's probably because you still have adaptive menus enabled.
To change this, go to the Options tab of Tools | Customize and check "Always
show full menus." Alternatively, you should be able to get the full View
menu by clicking on the arrows at the bottom of the menu.

For the rest, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm

"Robin Marling" Robin wrote in message
I'm having the same problem. Whenever I open any document the Document

Map
is enabled. It's making me crazy. And...Barbara, your suggestion does

not
work. And where is View - Document Map in Word 2003. Anyway I tried

editing
normal.dot - it didn't work. There has to be a way!!!

"Katy White" wrote:

The document map for some reason shows up automatically now whenever I

open a
word document. How do I disable this feature? It is getting rather

annoying
to turn the darn thing off every time I open a document.

Thanks!