Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Trouble Sorting Table

You could start by selecting the entire table and clearing the "Repeat as
heading row" check box.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
I have run into this problem for the first time. I have a Word table

(about
355kb, about 180 lines/rows) which I have been updating for 2-3 years. It
is actually a table matching legal cases with their billing reference
numbers, with 1 case per row. Some other information about the case is

also
stored in the different cells (columns) of each row, including the state
where the case is pending. The table is usually sorted alphabetically and
maintained that way. I usually make a copy of the table and sort it by
state, but without usually saving it as a separate table in the document.
Suddenly I am encountering this error message when I try to sort the whole
table or even a few rows: "Word cannot sort this table because all of its
rows are table headings." How the %^#(?!@ did all my rows become table
headings? I certainly have headings at the top of the table, but they do
not repeat on each page, and I certainly don't include the table headings
when sorting. I tried copying all but the last few paragraphs of the
document containing the table and pasting it into a blank document in case
the original had become corrupted, but this seemed to make no difference.
The problem appeared in Word 2002 (via MS Terminal Server) but I had the
same trouble trying to sort the table in Word 2003.

(Should I be using Excel for this??? I hope not. I keep meaning to learn
how to use it but I have this naaasty habit of sticking with what I know)