Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Default cannot sort column

It means that the table has merged or split cells in it. Once the table has
merged or split cells, Word can no longer recognise the columns, and thus
cannot sort them.

It's likely to be a single row that's causing the problem. If you can find
that row, delete it and re-enter the data in a row that's correctly
formatted. Try switching on the display of gridlines: the mal-formed row
might be obvious. If it's a very large table, copy it and paste it into
Excel -- the bad row(s) will end up with data in the wrong columns.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I am trying to help a neighbor who has a buisiness.
He is trying to sort a column of people on a table in Word
alphabetically.
Apparently his secretary which has been doing this for years can't do
it all of a sudden.
I tried and I get this error:
Cannot sort a table with merged cells.
I am lost...anyone that can help I appreciate it.
thanks laura