Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.international.features,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.tables
Renee [MSFT] Renee [MSFT] is offline

Default Right-to-left (Hebrew) tables in English Word?

Try setting the Table Properties to RTL. Right-click on the table and choose
Table Properties. In the Table tab, near the bottom, should be a setting for
RTL/LTR. If not, then you don't have Hebrew enabled in Office.
Start-Programs-Microsoft Office-Microsoft Office Tools-Microsoft Office
Language Settings. Verify Hebrew is enabled (should show up in the list on
the right). Changing the setting will require a restart of Word.

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote:

I have an RTF file that contains mostly Hebrew, so the \rtldoc tag is
specified early on ("This document will be formatted to have Arabic-style
pagination") and then contains several tables which specify \taprtl ("Table
direction is right to left") and \rtlrow ("Cells in this table row will have
right-to-left precedence").

On my English Windows XP Pro system, I have enabled "Install files for
complex script and right-to-left languages" and installed Hebrew as an
"Installed service" on the "Text Services and Input Languages" dialog.

When I load the RTF file into my Word, the characters appear correctly in
Hebrew, and the Hebrew text is correctly right-to-left, but the columns are
not in the correct order (the column specified first in the RTF file, which
should be the right-most column, is instead left-most).

Am I expecting too much of my English version of Word? Is there just no way
to have English Word properly display Hebrew RTF files?

Thanks,
Chris