Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] is offline

Default Word 2007 mail merge (insert contents of doc1 into doc2)

Hi kids - I have a conundrum and I know just enough to be dangerous.

Word 2007 SP2.

I've got a template(agreement1.dotx) on which the last page contents
are a link to a doc file (legal.docx). Legal.docx contains some
verbiage which needs to be standard on a agreements when we create
them (and we have a handful of other templates linked the same way).
It's an improvement over what they used to do, which was to have a
slew of documents they used as ersatz templates, and which all needed
to be updated any time there was a change to the legal verbiage.

When I create a new doc based on agreement1.dotx, the last page
properly inserts the current contents of legal.docx once I've
accepted the prompt to update the link.

Two things:

1) The prompt is annoying, and when I close / save the new doc, I am
prompted to save changes to the agreement.dotx ... I don't want that.
Minor annoyance, true, but still....

2) Most importantly, what I ultimately want is not a live link to the
current contents of legal.doc. A new document based on agreement.dotx
should ideally 'suck in' the contents of legal.docx so I can edit them
as needed; sometimes they need to vary by agreement. Also, if I create
a document when the legal.docx said one thing, and then want to
edit/open that doc later, I will not be seeing what we sent to the
client as a PDF - I'll see whatever the legal.docx says *now*. Not so
good.

So I'm guessing a merge is the thing I want, but I don't know how to
insert a field that merges in the entirety of a document.

Help me, Obi Wan!