Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Auto saving

Me too - but it still requires human intervention

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
By keying Control+S every "minute or two".

That's hardly automatic - which is certainly possible (though it
would annoy the hell out of me) - see
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

It's locked into my muscle memory, and has become an automatic part of
typing for me, to the extent that I do it when filling in text forms
in webpages, because if I've been typing for a while, it must be time
to hit control-S. (it is a little annoying when I accidentally bring
up the "save webpage?" dialog--I need to reassign that command in my
browser)

The advantage of getting your fingers to memorize this combo is that
you get in the habit of saving in just about every application. If
you hardly notice you are doing it, it's unlikely to annoy. I think I
do it more often than every minute or two, certainly every time I
pause to think.

I believe I developed this habit in a earlier Word version (Word 6?)
that had the option to give you a dialog prompt "save now?" if it had
been 10 minutes since the last save. Since that prompt was a super
annoying interruption to my flow of thought, I quickly learned that
if I always remembered to save myself, the prompt would not come up.

Daiya