Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Can't Connect Word Mail Merge to Mail Client

For my needs Office 2003 (or Open Office/Star Office) is
a better product that lacks only the e-mail merge.

It is probably too late now, but Office 2003 was/is also capable of merge to
e-mail. However, running a mixture of Word and Outlook where the versions
differ is not recommended (e.g. Word 2003 + Outlook 2007) because various
capabilities are lost.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"takalevy" wrote in message
I just created a test word and test excel database and saved both in 2003
format. I then attempted to do the merge and got message that Outlook
wasn't
my default mail client. I changed this and merge proceeded, so apparently
the old file type wasn't the problem. Previously I did not get msg that
Outlook needed to be default client, but when I got things working I did
set
Outlook to be default mail client.

One non-related comment: I really dislike the new interface. It's very
complex and difficult to use and since products don't come with manuals
it's
a real time waster. For my needs Office 2003 (or Open Office/Star Office)
is
a better product that lacks only the e-mail merge.

An example of my concerns: On 2003 you could see which files were loaded
and switch between them from the main menu bar. I finally found this
capability under View Switch Windows.

Thanks so much for your help.

Bob

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Glad you got it working, and thanks for the useful feedback.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"takalevy" wrote in message
I was using the HTML format and I don't think that was the issue. I
think
that since I was trying to use the files that I used last year under
Office
2003 (with hard copy printed output) in Office 2007 the suite was
working
in
a 2003 emulation mode. I made a number of changes at once, so I'm not
positive, but I believe that when I saved files in 2007 mode and
reloaded
them, things worked. I tried creating a simple 4 row test matrix using
Excel
2007 and created a simple template in Word 2007 and they worked fine,
that's
why I tried saving my older files in 2007 format and retrying things.
The
older files did a printed mail merge just fine (as they did using 2003)
and
that threw my off the problem. Documentation says that you must use
all
2007
applications to to e-mail merge, but I didn't see a note that my files
had
be updated to 2007.

Thanks very much for your help.

Bob

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If you are trying to merge to email using HTML format, I suggest you
try
test merge using plain text format,
a. to see if that makes any difference (you will have to respond to
the
security dialog boxes that appear when you use plain text fomat)
b. because at least one user has reported that doing a merge using
plain
text resulted in a working merge to HTML scenario (although others
have
reported serious problems with Word 2007 merge to HTML).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"takalevy" wrote in message
I've created a mail merge file using Word 2007 and Excel 2007. It
prints
great, but I cannot get it to send by e-mail. I'm sure problem is
that
have to define mail client and somehow attach it to Word. I have
Office
2007
Pro Plus installed. I've configured Outlook 2007 to work as an IMAP
client
on GMAIL and it works perfectly and have set it up as default mail
client.
also have Thunderbird 2.0 installed. When I go to Mailings Finish
&
Merge
Send E- Mail Messages the 'Merge to E-mail screen comes up and I've
set
the
To: Field to EMAIL which is the field in my data that contains
e-mail
addresses, I've also set the Send Records to Current Record and
clicked
ok.
The Merge to E-mail screen closes and nothing happens. I can't
find
anything in the help screens to resolve problem. Any suggestions
would
be
appreciated.