Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Delete rows if merge field doesn't wrap

Hi nancyc,

Assuming the page breaks occur in the correct place when you've got the longest set of merge data, simply insert a manual page break
immediately after the last character that's meant to appear on the page concerned. You can do this by moving the cursor to the start
of the next character and pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter. That way, only the layout of the page concerned will change according to the
amount of data coming from the merge.

--
Cheers
macropod

"nancyc" wrote in message ...
Yes I understand that, but depending on the length of each merge field. I
have to fix my page breaks.
This is a 10 page document with page breaks at specific areas. if the merge
field wraps it causes a new page due to the overflow and then all the other
fixed page breaks are wrong.
Can I format for the longest scenario and if it isn't that long delete the
blank rows?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You do not need to provide the "extra rows in the document" The merged data
will wrap automatically onto extra lines if it will not fit on one line.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"nancyc" wrote in message
if there are multiple lines it forces a new page creating page breaks
where I
don't want them. How do I get my page breaks correct for the shortest
data
and the longest data?

"macropod" wrote:

Hi nancyc,

You should be able to use just the one line - the data will wrap to the
next line, pushing the other lines down, if required.

--
Cheers
macropod

"nancyc" wrote in message
I have a merge letter where one of the merge fields can be one line or
wrap
to mulitple lines. I currently have extra rows in the document to
allow for
the merge field to wrap up to 4 rows. But if the merge field only uses
one
row how can I delete the multiple blank rows?

.

.