Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Delete rows if merge field doesn't wrap

I would think of it this way:

1. Lay out the letter with the following text:

To: defrow1
defrow2
defrow3
defrow4
blank1
blank2
Dear .....

2. Put a page break at the end of the last line that you see on the
page, as macropod suggested, (or possibly the last line but one if you
like to give yourself a bit of leeway)

3. delete the lines with defrow2, defrow3 and defrow4 on them so you have

To: defrow1
blank1
blank2
Dear .....

Delete the words blank1 and blank2 without deleting the lines they
occupy, so you have the two blank lines you always need before the "Dear"

To: defrow1

Dear .....

replace "defrow1" by the mergefield Defendant Name

The blank lines are never replaced, only "pushed down". So when you have
a single-line Defendant name, you get 3 more blank lines at the bottom
of the page than when you have a 4-line Defendant name.

I expect that's what the others have been suggesting anyway.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 28/01/2010 15:23, nancyc wrote:
The following is a sample letter. One page of many.
The merge field is called "defendantName" it is on one line as such:
I need two blank rows after defendant name before the letter starts. So if
the defendant name can be 4 lines do I enter 4 blank lines so the page break
is at the correct location since this is the longest possible format?

To:DefendantName

Dear .........

Page Break here---end of page 1 based on longest possible defendant name

If the Defendant name doesn't need 4 lines, how can I delete the blank rows
so only two blank rows are after the merge field defendant Name?

To:Defendant Name

Dear xxxxxxx

Page Break for page 1

"macropod" wrote:

Hi nancyc,

Assuming the page breaks occur in the correct place when you've got the longest set of merge data, simply insert a manual page break
immediately after the last character that's meant to appear on the page concerned. You can do this by moving the cursor to the start
of the next character and pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter. That way, only the layout of the page concerned will change according to the
amount of data coming from the merge.

--
Cheers
macropod

wrote in message ...
Yes I understand that, but depending on the length of each merge field. I
have to fix my page breaks.
This is a 10 page document with page breaks at specific areas. if the merge
field wraps it causes a new page due to the overflow and then all the other
fixed page breaks are wrong.
Can I format for the longest scenario and if it isn't that long delete the
blank rows?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You do not need to provide the "extra rows in the document" The merged data
will wrap automatically onto extra lines if it will not fit on one line.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote in message
if there are multiple lines it forces a new page creating page breaks
where I
don't want them. How do I get my page breaks correct for the shortest
data
and the longest data?

"macropod" wrote:

Hi nancyc,

You should be able to use just the one line - the data will wrap to the
next line, pushing the other lines down, if required.

--
Cheers
macropod

wrote in message
I have a merge letter where one of the merge fields can be one line or
wrap
to mulitple lines. I currently have extra rows in the document to
allow for
the merge field to wrap up to 4 rows. But if the merge field only uses
one
row how can I delete the multiple blank rows?

.

.

.