Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
trj27 trj27 is offline

Default How to start a footnote from a number other than 1

Has this been fixed? I'm having the same issue!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Yes, I recall seeing that too. It's really disappointing. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Darn! I thought someone had reported that this bug had been fixed.

so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
The test document sent to me has three chapters, each of which should
restart numbering. This means that (at least) one Word section is needed

for
each chapter. Since the second chapter contains a landscape page, it
needs
three sections. Therefore, five sections are required for the whole
document.

And the desirable settings, in the Footnote and Endnote dialog box, are
the following:

For section 1: "Restart on section"

For section 2: "Restart on section"

For section 3: "Continuous"

For section 4: "Continuous"

For section 5: "Restart on section"

Here are the results:

Chapter One:

Section 1: Notes 1, 2, 3

Chapter Two:

Section 2: Notes 1, 2, 3, 4

Section 3 (Landscape): Notes 5, 6
(numbered 8, 9 with "Continuous" numbering set for the section)

Section 4 (back to portrait): Not 7
(numbered 10 with "Continuous" set for the section)

Chapter Three:

Section 5: Notes 1, 2

The bug from Word 2003 (2002?) is apparently still present.

The only work-arounds (except manually entering the appropriate numbers)
would be to have the footnotes restart on each page, or keep them

continuous
through-out the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Nabil" wrote in message
The client wanted one PDF file for the whole master document.
Additionally,
having limited time to accomplish the job; I had to make the "fake"
footnotes
where needed. He was happy with the outcome.

I have created a mock document with similar section breaks, footnotes

and
page layout and I saved it in Word 2007. I will be sending it to you
shortly.

Regards

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

"Nabil" wrote in message
Many thanks for your help. I tried again in Word 2007, and it did
not
work.

That is bad news. My simple test indicated that it did work (which was
not
the case in Word 2003), but, obviously, I didn't check every possible
case.

Due to time limitation of this job I have used text boxes to add the
faulty
footnotes manually.

This seems like a time-consuming task. :-(

Are you going to distribute this document electronically? If so, PDFs
seem
like the better choice given that you had to "fake" some of the
footnotes.

The file is a master document for a book of around 500 pages. I
think
it
is
impractical to send it as attachment, besides I need the consent of

my
client.

OK, good point.

You may also want to see this article on document corruption (if you
decide
to test some of the fixes, do so on a copy of the original document):
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

I shall try to make up a dummy master document with similar
section
breaks and see if it works in Word 2007.

Regards

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Go to the section whose numbering you want to change. Click the