Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] bigstarman5d@gmail.com is offline

Default How to split text in Word, similar to Excel's text to columns ?

I'm using Word 2010. I am copying the transcripts from some Youtube videos (click on "More" below the video and choose Transcript (if available); then highlight and copy). However when I paste the transcript into Word, there is no delimiter between the time and the text. The transcripts look like this in Word:

0:00hello and welcome to this video tutorial
0:09brought to you by xxxxx today
0:13I'm going to show you how to
10:00so using the same principles as before

I found that I can paste the transcript into Excel and use the Data | Text to Columns feature to split the time by using the fixed width option. I just have to do two splits--one with a 3 digit time 0:00 and one with a 4 digit time 00:00 for 10 minutes and later. Then copy and paste to Word.

I was wondering if there is a way to perform this split within Word so that it looks like this:

0:00 hello and welcome to this video tutorial
0:09 brought to you by xxxxx today
0:13 I'm going to show you how to
10:00 so using the same principles as before

THANKS!!