Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default sorting problem

Instead of doing this manually, why not generate an index automatically? See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm

"ucsd" .(NOSPAM) wrote in message
This is in response to Robert Franz. Actually I am working on a subject
index for a book. As I go through the manuscript I set up main topics and
sometimes indented under them one or more subtopics - none of these

entries
are particularly long (1-5 words) so It looks like this:

Main entry
Subentry i
Subentry 2
Main entry 2
Subentry

In the past I have had no problem for "sort" to alphbetize the Main

entries
and then under each to alphabetize the subentries. What has happened now

is
that a subentry would float on it own and a subentry from one main entry
would appear as a sub entry under another main entry. As I said it happens
seldon but it is consistent - the same error occurs each time I sort the
material.

Thank you for any comments.
--
George Mandler
Retired Professor

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello George

ucsd wrote:
I have a list of topics with subtopics, initially not sorted. When I

use sort
the program generally complied, i.e., take main topics alphabetically

and
(indented) subtopics also alphabetically within main tpics, BUT every

now and
then it just makes a plain mistake, e.g., it takes a subtopic and

lists it by
itself or it takes a subtopic and lists it under a main topic

different from
what it is in the presorting list. Error rate about 10% - previously

had no
problems.

Could you describe the structure of your entries a bit? Are you dealing
with a table? Or with paragraphs, where topics/subtopics are separated
by a special character? ISTR that there is a maximum string length that
Word takes into account when sorting, but we need to know more to judge
whether this could be a case here.

Greetings from good old Europe
[And say Hi to retired Prof. Marti when you see him :-)]
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP