Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default I want to write my thesis?

See €śCreating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents€ť

Note that it will not be hyperlinked. Note also that Word can easily handle
the entire thesis as a single document, and you will find this MUCH simpler
in the long run.

http://word.mvps.org

"Ta.To" wrote in message
I want to write my thesis using MS office (word) 2007, so what I plan to do
is:
- write each chapter in a separet word file (e.g. chapter1.doc,
chapter2.doc, summary.doc, ...etc.).
- then, I want to make a main file (call it main.doc).
- in the main file I want to link to each of the other files.
* up to here I succeeded to do that.

Now:
- I want to make table of contents in main.doc which then read
automatically
the titles and sub titles in each of the separet files (when I update the
filed).
- and the same for the refrences.
* I do not know how to do that, or if it is possible or not.

many thanks