Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Master Documents

But how will I teach 2007 what my shortcuts are?

On Aug 4, 9:35 pm, "PamC via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote:
On my equipment and most of my client's, my keyboard shortcuts work in W2007
as they did before. Because I still use W2003, I have not converted my add-
on templates to W2007 files. But I doubt that that would make a difference.

Your description of the new interface is pretty accurate. Just about
everything that was there is still there. Things are grouped differently and
several are not on the ribbon I'd have put them on--but I said that about
the tooolbars too. Unfortunately you can only show one ribbon at a time,
which is what makes the QAT so valuable. If you are willing to learn a little
xml (I believe that's the language) you can customize the ribbon. I would
wait before doing anything like that. Over time, several things that I "just
hated" and knew I wanted to get rid of (the style gallery, for instance), I
ignore now--but see a future use for it.

You can add custom toolbars to the QAT--keeping your current icons--per
instructions he

http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...ard=wrd&Number...

HTH,
PamC

grammatim wrote:
And an amazon associated dealer offers it -- and Word Inside Out --
for 65% and 60% off respectively! (And they don't offer Free Shipping,
so they'll probably be here by Wednesday.)

Lest this turn into a mere chat thread, I do have a worry: Will I be
able to transfer my dozens of custom keyboard shortcuts (for accented
letters) from Word 2003 to Word 2007? Everything else about the
template is presumably so different that none of the other
customizations will make sense.

(My old 250 Gb hard drive will become a second internal drive in the
new computer.)

But from looking over the introductory chapter, it doesn't seem that
the 2007 GUI is all that different from the 2003 GUI: "Menus" have
become "Tabs," and selecting a command involves horizontal rather than
vertical mousing. It would be nice to be able to remove the buttons
from the tabs that I'll never use (such as Grammar Check and color
effects); but unless the range of commands available to be put onto
the QAT is severely limited, I can probably get everything I regularly
need in the one row.

If some commands again (as in 2003) don't come with preset button
graphics, it would be nice to be able to copy my homemade ones over,
so that I don't have to try to duplicate them.

And the bibliography device will be very useful.

***

Just this evening one of the prolific MVPs in the thread "Can I write
a 400-page book?" suggested that its OP be warned against trying to
use Master Document.

Not my problem -- the publisher requires InDesign (I'm responsible for
my [what used to be called] camera-ready copy, because of the 100-odd
exotic fonts involved), which strongly recommends against initial
keyboarding within it but wants imported Word files, and InDesign
apparently can handle composite documents successfully.

I recommend Advanced Office Documents 2007 Edition. When she, Stephanie
Krieger, says advanced she means it. She only covers basic features when

[quoted text clipped - 26 lines]