Shauna Kelly

Hi Mike

I assume the user is opening the files from Windows Explorer?

If so, you need to check not only the file association, but the default
action for that file type. When you double click a file in Windows Explorer,
it performs the default action. Other actions can be chosen from
right-clicking the file name. So, if you right-click, New should be in bold
(indicating that it is the default action) and Open should not be bold.

To change the default action, in Windows Explorer, Tools Folder Options.
On the File Types tab, find the DOT entry. Click Advanced, then in the
Actions list, click on New and click Set Default.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a user who has 5 tempaltes (DOT) that, when he double clicks on
them,
open the template rather than creating a new document. I checked yesteray
to make sure his file assocation was correct - it was - and when I went to
look at his machine the templates worked correctly. He's once again
having
the same problem. Any thoughts on why this would change or what he might
be
doing that would cause this? TIA,

Michael Lax