Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy F. Kathy F. is offline

Default Is there a way to lock a template?

Read only prevents accidental changes, but we want to stop unauthorized
people from turing off the flag so they can "fix" the template. We can't use
folder security because the template is sent to offices all over the world.

"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,
says...
We use a couple of different templates for all of our documentation,
depending on the type of document. We want people to be able to make
adjustments to a document if necessary (apply bold and italic to text,
indent, etc.) but we want to lock it so they can't modify the template
itself. We've made the templates read only, but we'd feel better if there
were some way to password protect it. I tried setting a modify password on
the template, but it required the password to apply the template or even open
a document based on the template. Any ideas?

Why isn't read-only good enough? If the template is at a central
location on a server, make its folder read-only too.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers