Klaus Linke

Hi Dan,

You're right, it doesn't work for me in Word2003 either.
Not sure whether I was hallicunating, or whether I did somehow get it to work in the past.

Sorry!!

Plan C (counting Jay's method) might be:
Convert the table to tab-delimited text (...hope that's possible...), and then replace the paragraph marks in front of the paras
that should sort with the preceeding paragraphs with line breaks (Shift-Return).

If you can locate the rows that should sort with the preceeding "rows" with "Find/Replace", you can achieve that with two
"Find/Replaces":

-- Say they are in style "DontSort", then search for that style, check "Match wildcards", and put [!^13]@^13 in "Find what".
Replace with $$$^&.

-- Then replace ^p$$$ with ^l$$$.

If you finally have

then you get after sorting

and can replace the *l*ine breaks (^l) with *p*aragraph marks (^p) again.

Klaus

Dan Corban wrote:
I tried your method and it does not work for me. All hidden rows
simply get sorted to the top of the table.

Maybe I am missing a key step to your method, but this is what I did:
Show/Hide is off.
Select the entire row.
Go to Font properties and select "hidden".
Select Table - Sort and sort as I normally do.
Turn Show/Hide on.

I tried several variations of your method and the end result is always the
hidden rows sort to the top. I am using Word 2002. Maybe the hidden sort
behavior is different in another version?

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

Format the rows that should sort along with the previous row as "hidden", and set the view to not show hidden text.
If you sort now, the hidden rows will just move along with the preceeding visible rows.

In your case, it shouldn't be too hard to write a macro that loops all rows, checks for indents, and hides the row if it finds

an
indent.