Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How to auto assign current year for copyright?

Peter, I see where you are coming from, but as it is so easy to change a
date in a computerised document, the date in a copyright notice has very
little value when it comes to proving copyright, no matter what form you
enter it in.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
It depends on how you see it. I assume the point Peter is making is that
/if/ you add a notice, it has to be in a certain format (AFAICR that is
also true of UK Copyright law), and if you use a symbol rather than the
word "Copyright" then it has to be the circle-C. Although the rules do not
say that you have to add a notice in order to establish copyright, they do
mention the evidentiary weight of including a copyright notice.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap4.html

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 30/04/2010 06:25, Graham Mayor wrote:
If that is indeed true for US law, then it is ridiculous. A writer always
owns the copyright to the material he/she creates, unless it is ceded to
someone else. The copyright notice merely draws attention to the fact.
The
copyright notice on a document alone is insufficient to prove copyright,
and
its omission does not negate the writer's copyright.