Peter Jamieson

so is this why and how can I fix it.

Probably. Word only lets you edit a particular type of .mdb that is
structured as an "Office Address List" (OAL) - in essence, it has a single
table with a particular name, a single query with a particular name, and a
certain set of columns.

I suggest you change the columns back the way they were (create a new OAL if
you need to find out the correct sequence), then try again. If that does not
work, try creating a new OAL,
a. open your original OAL
b. open the table (not the query) in datasheet view
c. select al the records (click the top left corner)
d. Edit|Copy
e. open the empty OAL
f. open the table in datasheet view
g. edit|paste

Peter Jamieson

"Janelle" wrote in message
I have typed a letter with an attached mail merge. When I click on mail
merge
recipients the table comes up, but the edit button is unavailable. (It
used
to work fine). I want to edit and add recipients through word.

I had opened the database file separately and edited the order of
columns -
so is this why and how can I fix it.