Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
kim kim is offline

Default Merging Time Fields

The time field in my text file is formatted like this:

08.30.00 13.30.00

separated by decimals not colons.
--
Kim

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Post an offending sample of your data - like Doug I cannot reproduce the
fault on the basis of the information you have provided.

DDE is for Excel/Access, TXT should not be an issue.

Kim wrote:
My data source is a .txt file, it's generated from another
application. I tried all 3 DDE options available: Excel, Access,
and Query, and none of them work

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the
General tab and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at
open" item. (In Word 2007 it is Office Button Word Options
Advanced General Confirm file format conversion on open). Then
when you attach the data source to the mail merge main document, you
will be given the option of using the DDE method of connection which
should read the data as you have it formatted in the table.

Kim wrote:
Does not work. 13.30.00 will print correctly as 13:30 but 08.30.00
prints 0:00

It's treating these values differently.

Try adding a

\@ "H:mm"

switch inside the closing } of the mergefield that is displayed
when you use Alt+F9 to toggle on the display of the field codes

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00 and
I want it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is
13.30.00, it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim