Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anup Tawde Anup Tawde is offline

Default May I sell a novel written with the 'non-commercial' Word?

Hi RBlan,

I am not sure but i think YOU CAN'T

See this knowledge based article from Microsoft:

The title bar displays "non-commercial use" when you start an Office Home
and Student 2007 program
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937676

Again, I am not fully aware about this Microsoft policy. Better, you can
call on 1-800-936-5700 (toll free) i.e. Microsoft Word Support number and get
confirmation from Microsoft regarding the same.

--
Regards,
Anup

"RBlan" wrote:

It really irritates me to see that "not-commercial use" line on the Home and
Student version title bar -- it almost says "you'll never sell this, you
fool!" This restriction was not mentioned on the product information when I
was selecting this software. I certainly didn't need the 'Enterprise"
edition.

I suppose that since a novel or even a screenplay manuscript has nothing
that can't be done in .rtf that one could save as .rtf , open in Wordpad and
then save again and/or print from a program that, as far as I know, does NOT
prohibit 'comercial use'. This really irritates me. The license mentions
'business' use, and if I were writing a screenplay on a movie studio's
machine, that would be clear, but what about freelancers?

--RBlan