Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default May I sell a novel written with the 'non-commercial' Word?

Hmmm. On that basis, it is difficult to see what legal use you could put the
program to. The application is, for example, widely sold to educationalists.
It could be argued that education is a 'commercial' endeavour. I wonder too
to what extent purchasers of the software are aware of the limitations
imposed when they pay their money for the product i.e. before they get as
far as being able to read the EULA? And if they did not agree, could they
then get their money back on the basis that it cannot be used for a
legitimate home user task, that may later have a commercial application e.g.
writing a novel?

JoAnn Paules wrote:
When you installed the Home and Student version, *you agreed* that it
would not be used for commercial endeavors. Doesn't matter if you're
freelance or not. You can't even use it to do volunteer work for a
non-profit oprganization.

"RBlan" wrote in message
It really irritates me to see that "not-commercial use" line on the
Home and
Student version title bar -- it almost says "you'll never sell
this, you fool!" This restriction was not mentioned on the product
information when I
was selecting this software. I certainly didn't need the 'Enterprise"
edition.

I suppose that since a novel or even a screenplay manuscript has
nothing that can't be done in .rtf that one could save as .rtf ,
open in Wordpad and
then save again and/or print from a program that, as far as I know,
does NOT
prohibit 'comercial use'. This really irritates me. The license
mentions 'business' use, and if I were writing a screenplay on a
movie studio's machine, that would be clear, but what about
freelancers? --RBlan