See http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/RunInSidehead.htm

"BruceM" wrote in message
I would like to build a table of contents, but have run into a problem or
two. I have defined my own outline styles. I find it much simpler to

define
level 1, then to base level 2 on level 1, etc. rather than having to undo

all
of the formatting for the built-in heading styles and then redefining each
style. I don't know if that is relevant to my question, but there it is

just
in case.
The problem I am having is that I would like to limit the TOC entry to
something less than an entire paragraph. Let's say my custom styles are
Level1, Level2, etc. If I base a TOC on those styles, entire paragraphs

show
up in the TOC and I cannot figure out how to change that to a few

descriptive
words. If a Level2 paragraph starts with "General Procedures - These are
some general guidelines ...", all I want in the TOC is "General

Procedures",
but I cannot edit the TOC entries. Can I use the TOC, or do I need to

insert
individual hyperlinks to places in the document or something like that? I
have read the MVP article on the use of switches, and have looked at Help,
but my situation does not seem to be covered.