Ross

Sorry about the delay in responding but I have been having trouble accessing
this site for the last 2 weeks.

The problem occurs on both Office 2000 and Office XP.

The process merges data from a database into a Word formatted Invoice
document and I would rather not have to completely rebuild the Invoice in
Excel.

Please note that the data file being exported from the database views
perfectly in Excel but does not work when importing it into Word.

The database has descriptions of parts being sold on the invoice and so an
8" grinding wheel needs to have the " mark to define it as inches.

As I have just upgraded to Office 2003 I will see if the same problem
happens on it as well but in the meantime I would love a resolution to the
problem.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Um9zcw==?=,

Sorry if this topic has been covered before but it was too much work to
search through 79 pages of topics.

google.com's newsgroup search is your friend :-) But you may not have found a
discussion on exactly this question. It would also help a lot if you'd tell us
the version of Word involved in a problem.

I would have thought putting each field's contents into 'single quotes' would
have solved the problem. If that doesn't help, then

1. Why not import it into Excel, then merge to Excel?

2. Or open the delimited text file in Word, select and Table/Convert Text to
Table

3. Or use a different character for the ", then Find/Replace in the mail merge
result to restore the "

I have a data source that is tab delimeted and some of the text fields
contain " marks (8" diameter) and appear perfectly when viewed in Excel,
however when I perform the mailmerge all fields following the " are
concatenated together losing the tab delimeter up to the next occurrance of
the " character of the end of the merge line (whichever comes first)

I have tried inserting a \ prior to the " but the same thing happens. I have
tried changing the import data to comma delimeted and ' around every field
but the sroblem still happens.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org