Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default 2007 MailMerge with Excel(DDE) requires Excel file to be opened fi

Is the dialog box in which you select the method of connection being
displayed? If not, click on the Office button and then on Word Options in
the bottom border and then on Advanced and scroll down to the General
section and check the box against "Confirm file format conversion on open".

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"JPal" wrote in message
We have upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007.
Several WORD MailMerge documents that use EXCEL with DDE are not working
correctly after the change. Under 2003 we opened the Word document, it
opened the Excel data file, the dialog to connect the two was displayed
and a
YES answer displayed the MailMerge document with the underlying data
displayed.

Under 2007, the connection between Word and Excel is established only if
we
manually open the Excel file first. If the Excel file is not opened
before
the Word mailmerge file then the connection process fails.

All files are on a network share and that network directory has been setup
as a Trusted Location in both Word and Excel. Not sure it matters but was
one of the things I tried attempting to resolve the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JPal