Dawn Rhoads

Hmmm... yep, rounding definitely seems to be the culprit. Do you know what
exactly the "round" feature does? A fellow here thinks he can determine
mathmatically what we need to do, regardless of how the rounding actually
works, as long he knows what the rounding will actually do.

When I tried your IF field, I got a result of $100, when I entered a total
pages of 201, with a rate of 200. (Is that what you get, or have I entered
the calculation incorrectly?) That isn't right. What it should be is $400.
I probably haven't explained the math very clearly. For every 50 pages over
100, there is a fee of $200. So, 0-100 pages gets $0 fee. 101-150 pages get
a $200 fee. 151-200 pages gets a $400 fee. 201-250 gets a $600 fee, etc.

Thanks again for any help you can offer!

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

Dawn,

This one is not as easy as you might expect. This is due in part to the
fact that Word has no Round Up function.

I didn't have time to refine this but it will work. For the purpose of this
example, lets put Total in cell a1 and put Rate in Cell b1

The formula
{ IF a1 "100""{
=round((((a1-100)/50*b1)+(MOD(((a1-100)/50*b1),1)0)/2),0) }""0"}

should work. Note the field braces { } must be entered with CTRL+F9
--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Dawn Rhoads wrote:
I am trying to insert an if calculation into a Word table. It will
reference two other fields in other locations in the table. One is a
number of pages (let's call that "Total"). Another is a rate
("Rate"). We think we have the math figured out, but I don't have
enough experience with IF and calculation fields to figure this out
very easily.

We also think it will use the "round" function, which we think means
if a number in our calculation is a decimal, it will be rounded up to
the nearest whole number.

IF the Total100, then round (Total-100)/50*Rate, ELSE 0.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!