Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
mjreale mjreale is offline

Default Can I change a sort order?

Thanks for the explanation. I went back and followed Doug's suggestion more
carefully, i.e., by deleting the final period, and Voila! it worked. It makes
sense now in light of Graham's clarification.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The sort takes the character vale of each character in turn. The space after
Canyon in the first line below has a lower value than the period in the
second line (32 against 46) so it comes first in the sort order.
If you add a period after Canyon in the first line and resort, the order
will change.

Alamo Canyon to the Water Tank. Rating C.
Alamo Canyon. Rating D.

mjreale wrote:
I happen to have the same data in Excel, where the hike title is
separate from the description, so I tried sorting on that column (in
Excel), but the sort still comes out the same. Any other suggestions
or explanation of why the sort does what it does?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You would need to have the Alamo Canyon in a separate column, and
probably without the period after it, and sort on that column and
then on the column containing the balance of the information.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"mjreale" wrote in message
I am trying to sort a table according to Hike Descriptions. For
example, the
table contains the following as the first 2 sentences in the table:
Alamo Canyon. Rating D.
Alamo Canyon to the Water Tank. Rating C.

When I sort the table, the order is:
Alamo Canyon to the Water Tank. Rating C.
Alamo Canyon. Rating D.

Is there a way to assure that the sort will be as shown in the
first case, and not as in the second, which is not what I want?