Kevin

Yes, I did follow those steps. While the computer is on, and after I've
un-checked the "Allow starting in Reading Layout," then it works fine.
However, once the computer is restarted, Word defaults back to the box being
checked.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To clarify, you've changed the option setting on the General tab of Tools |
Options ("Allow starting in Reading Layout")?

"Kevin" wrote in message
I know I can disable Reading Layout (in Word) when I open an attachment

from
Outlook in Word. Here's my problem - when I restart my computer Word

defaults
back to the Reading Layout view for Outlook attachments. This is driving

me
crazy. I can't stand the Reading Layout view. How do I permanently disable
Reading Layout view so it won't default back when the computer is

restarted?