Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default What's the cursor that looks like a compass?

Herb

That explains where I've seen it then: in Excel!

Terry

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
It turns out that I can get the 4-pointed cursor, too... but not in Word.
It does show up in Excel (where it's of more use), but wouldn't be very
useful for me in Word, since I typically don't have Word documents that
are that wide. I'm now wondering just what circumstance one would need for
it to work in a Word document. Creating a very wide document didn't do it.

In any case, I'm glad you have a way out--but I'm surprised that Escape
doesn't do it. I also find that pressing any key--backspace, space, Ctrl,
Shift, a letter, Enter, etc.--also turns off AutoScroll here. So does
clicking any of the other mouse buttons.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible