Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Undo sections within a chapter in long doc and retain footnote num

In theory, footnotes can be set to restart in one section and be continuous
for the rest of the sections (which I think is what you are trying to
accomplish), but this doesn't work—unless it has been fixed in Word 2013,
which I have not yet tested. The settings in the Footnote and Endnote dialog
box apply to *all* sections (all continuous or all restarted).

As a workaround, consider mixing footnotes and endnotes to create a separate
sequence of numbers.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" wrote in message

I put my doc together section by section, and then chapter by chapter
using" insert" function. Each chapter starts with new footnote 1. Now
because I am making changes to one whole chapter it creates another
problem (doesn’t matter what - it is unavoidable) and I am redoing the
same section multiple times. I need to do a smaller section (not the
whole chapter) at a time and retain continuous footnote numbering.

So I need to undo each section in my document while I make changes and
put it together later. Also I am sending it by email to a proof-reader
and I want to send off a few sections at a time, so better if the
footnotes can follow on.

I can’t remember how I cut out sections and repasted without losing
continuous footnote numbering. (maybe I never did). If I do it by cut
and paste my footnotes return to number 1. (as we know)

Is there a better way of doing it than redoing each page by restarting
at the last footnote number from previous section? I lost a few bits of
info off my footnotes so I have another copy I refer to which has been
useful. So would really like continuous numbering.

Anyone have any advices please? Looked in various tutorials but can’t
find answer. Maybe I am not asking the right question
kind regards

--
kaye123