WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Resizing a table column

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble resizing table columns in Word 2003. It sounds like you've tried a lot of troubleshooting steps already, so let's see if we can find a solution for you.

First, let's make sure that you're using the correct method for resizing columns. To resize a column by dragging, you should hover your mouse over the vertical line between two column headers until the cursor changes to a double-headed arrow. Then, click and drag the line to the left or right to adjust the column width. If this isn't working for you, try the following steps:
  1. Click anywhere inside the table to select it.
  2. Click the "Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click the "AutoFit" button in the "Cell Size" group.
  4. Choose "AutoFit Contents" from the dropdown menu.

This should adjust the column widths to fit the contents of each cell. If you still need to adjust the widths manually, try dragging the column lines again to see if they are now responsive.

If that doesn't work, you can also try resetting Word's preferences to their default settings. Here's how:
  1. Close all open Word documents.
  2. Click the "Start" button and type "run" in the search box.
  3. Click the "Run" program that appears in the search results.
  4. Type "%appdata%\Microsoft\Word" (without the quotes) in the "Open" field and click "OK".
  5. Right-click the "Options" folder and choose "Rename".
  6. Rename the folder to "Options.old".
  7. Close the window and restart Word.

This will reset Word's preferences to their default settings, which may resolve the issue with resizing table columns.

I hope one of these solutions works for you. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help with.