Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gil gil is offline

Default 10 most common problems for successful headers-footers?

Hi All,

I think it would be useful to have a button on the headers footers toolbar,
that automatically creates a new section with different first pages for
headers and footers with pagination starting on the 2nd page, and moving the
user to enter the new header and footer. Does anyone here have code that
will perform this?

Gil

"gil" wrote in message
What are the 10 most common problems in using headers and footers when
using different first pages? For 10 years I've recommended that users
avoid them unless they have to. I spent another several hours this
morning trying to learn how to get the section headers not to

insert section page break at bottom of file

insert hard Page so you can have a nonfirst page header

view header

break link

page setup different first page

go to footer and break link

go to page format, break link, select start at new page number 1

make sure you're in current section NOT first page, break link if it
changed back on you

insert your non-first page header

move to first page header make sure it's empty

go to prior section, make sure it's not been linked to later section's
headers,

then do the same whole sequence for the footers

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL TO BREAK THE LINK EACH TIME YOU ENTER A HEADER OR
FOOTER BOX BEFORE ANY TEXT ENTRY. Any text entry seems to replace the
prior sections headers instantly.

YOU CANNOT PLACE A HEADER FOR NON-FIRST PAGE HEADERS UNTIL AFTER YOU MAKE
A SECOND PAGE.

TIA

Long time sufferer