Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Tom Brown

Default Word formatting problem

Suzanne,

Thanks! This is really funny because the first thing I usually do when I
install Word on any computer, is go up and get rid of that funny-looking
Show/Hide Formatting symbol. Why do I do this? Because I didn't know what
it was so I didn't think I needed it. But, in getting rid of it, I must
have pushed it first!

I guess we are always learning something, huh?

Thanks again,

Tom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Tom Brown" wrote in message
We have been using MS Word for years on another computer and we just got
new machine. So, I loaded Office 2003 and the first time I opened an
existing document, I see formatting symbols that I have never seen
before.

Specifically, I see the Paragraph symbol at the end of each paragraph and
the CR (carriage return, enter, whatever you call it ) symbol at the end

of
all the other lines.

I am using the Normal view and can't find any way to get rid of those
formatting symbols. If I go to the Reading Layout, it looks normal.

TIA,

Tom