Doug Robbins

Depending on the version, the maximum number of columns for a Word table is
31 or 64, the latter with XP and 2003. With Excel or Access, it's 255 or
256. If that's not enough, you can use a comma delimited text file.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"EllenF" wrote in message
news
I have a document in which I cannot add additional fields because of an
error
message which says I have reached the maximum number of columns for a Mail
Merge. I didn't know there was a maximum, and I can't seem to find it in
the
Help screens. Can anyone tell me the maximum in Word, and whether I can
exceed that if I switch to Excel as my data source?