Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Removing an automatic Table of Contents

And if you want to modify the appearance of the TOC, you can do so by
modifying the TOC styles; this is most easily done via the Index and
Tables dialog box (Table of Contents tab): Click the Modify button and
then change the styles as desired. Confirm the settings with OK. Just
remember *not* to press OK to exit the Index and Tables dialog box (if
you press OK, Word will try to insert a new TOC, asking if you want to
replace the old one).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can delete the TOC field and construct the TOC manually, but I

suspect
that is not what you want. You can unlink the field with

Ctrl+Shift+F9,
which will permit you to format it manually, but you won't be able

to update
it any more, so be sure that editing is complete and pagination will

not
change. Alternatively, you can lock the field (Ctrl+F11), which will

prevent
it from updating; later, if you need to update the field, you can

unlock it
(Ctrl+Shift+F11).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Phrank" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm slowly but surely learning about styles, but I've come across

problem I don't know how to solve. I have documents with

automatic
Table of Contents, and I need to remove the automatic part of

this. I
still need the Table of Contents, but I need to be able to

add/remove
items and adjust the page numbers manually. I've read that to

create
an automatic table of contents I need to go to
Insert Field Index and Tables TOC. So, how do I reverse

this
equation? Thanks.

Frank