Jay Freedman

As near as I can tell, the TOC field for the Table of Figures (using the \c
"Figure" switch) picks up any paragraph that contains a SEQ field using the
"Figure" identifier. It doesn't even have to be in Caption style.

BUT... The point of this was to have only the long caption visible in the
document, and to have only the short caption appear in the TOF. Having a
hidden paragraph mark or a style separator doesn't do any good unless the
short caption that follows it is hidden. I know I was able to get this to
work by using the TC field before I posted my first answer, but now I can't
repeat it. :-( If the SEQ field is hidden, either by putting it in a TC
field by by directly applying Hidden formatting to the short caption, the
TOC field doesn't see it at all.

Sorry -- forget I was even here...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The style separator/hidden paragraph mark was going to be my
suggestion. This is by far the quickest solution and probably the
easiest to maintain.

"Robert M. Franz" wrote in message
Hi Jay

Jay Freedman wrote:
[..]
- Select the figure number from the beginning of the long caption
(this is actually a SEQ field) and drag it into the TC field after
the word "Figure". Then, in the long caption where the number used
to be, type the figure number as plain text.

[..]
This is where the PITA comes in: If you insert or remove figures,
the plain-text numbers in the long captions won't change to reflect
that. You'll have to go through all the captions, making manual
changes to the long caption numbers.

Maybe someone else will contribute a way that keeps the long
caption numbers in sync without also stuffing them into the TOC.

Two ideas (never really implemented myself):

- Bookmark the SEQ in the TC-field and cross-reference it in the
caption itself (or better: leave the SEQ-field in front and
reproduce the same SEQ-number in the TC-field, IIRC there's a switch
for that).

- Use a style separator/hidden para mark.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS