Jay Freedman

Ah, yes, I did misunderstand. I had in mind that the short caption would be
sufficiently different from the long caption that you would want to see only
one or the other:

Figure 1 When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things,
you sometimes find that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is
quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking
at it. { TC Figure 1 A Bear of Very Little Brain }

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I think you misunderstand what we are suggesting, which is:

Figure 1. Short caption to be included. SS or HPB Rest of caption
in a different style (not Caption).

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
As near as I can tell, the TOC field for the Table of Figures (using
the \c "Figure" switch) picks up any paragraph that contains a SEQ
field using the "Figure" identifier. It doesn't even have to be in
Caption style.

BUT... The point of this was to have only the long caption visible
in the document, and to have only the short caption appear in the
TOF. Having a hidden paragraph mark or a style separator doesn't do
any good unless the short caption that follows it is hidden. I know
I was able to get this to work by using the TC field before I posted
my first answer, but now I can't repeat it. :-( If the SEQ field is
hidden, either by putting it in a TC field by by directly applying
Hidden formatting to the short caption, the TOC field doesn't see it
at all.

Sorry -- forget I was even here...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The style separator/hidden paragraph mark was going to be my
suggestion. This is by far the quickest solution and probably the
easiest to maintain.

"Robert M. Franz" wrote in message
Hi Jay

Jay Freedman wrote:
[..]
- Select the figure number from the beginning of the long caption
(this is actually a SEQ field) and drag it into the TC field after
the word "Figure". Then, in the long caption where the number used
to be, type the figure number as plain text.
[..]
This is where the PITA comes in: If you insert or remove figures,
the plain-text numbers in the long captions won't change to
reflect that. You'll have to go through all the captions, making
manual changes to the long caption numbers.

Maybe someone else will contribute a way that keeps the long
caption numbers in sync without also stuffing them into the TOC.

Two ideas (never really implemented myself):

- Bookmark the SEQ in the TC-field and cross-reference it in the
caption itself (or better: leave the SEQ-field in front and
reproduce the same SEQ-number in the TC-field, IIRC there's a
switch for that).

- Use a style separator/hidden para mark.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS