Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Did you know?

BTW, you should *not* select the font you're using in Insert | Symbol. The
default setting is "(normal text)," which will insert the character in the
current font but also ensure that if you change the font of the rest of the
document, the character will change along with the rest. The exception is
that if you insert a character from a non-Unicode font (that is, one that
contains "dingbat" characters or symbols), it will be inserted as a
protected field specifying the font so that it will not be changed if you
change the font of the text.

http://word.mvps.org

"Idaho Word Man" wrote in message
You're right that they aren't listed under mathematical operators. The
cent
sign isn't found under currency symbols, either. But all of those symbols
are
present and can be inserted.

The shortcut Alt 0247 will give you the division symbol (÷) and Alt 0215
will give the multiplication symbol (×). Use Alt 0162 for the cent sign
(¢).

I don't know what version of Word you're using, but in my version (Word
2003
under Windows XP), I can insert symbols such as these from the Insert -
Symbol window by opening the Insert - Symbol window, selecting the font
I'm
currently using (I usually use TNR), and setting the "From:" field to
"ASCII
(decimal)." Then I can just scroll down through the list and ¡Viola! there
they are. If the font you're currently using doesn't contain the symbol
you
want, try a different font. It'll be there somewhere.

I hope this helps.

Fred

"VS in Atlanta" wrote:

Did you know?
When you want to type characters that are not on the keyboard, Word has a
function called 'insert symbols.' Guess what? I looked for a simple
division
sign. You would expect to find it under 'mathematical operators?' Think
again. The only division sign you will find is the slash. So when my kids
grow up and see a division sign, they will not know what it is. For that
matter there is no multiplication sign either. Once again, my kids will
only
associate the star with a multiplication sign. Why, why, why are we
letting
Microsoft make our kids dunces? They charge an arm and a leg for
software
and what do you get in return? English that would make our English
speaking
ancestors turn in their graves?