Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Default cross-refs across included documents

Hi anaon

anon k wrote:
I'm honestly surprised that Word isn't set up to easily insert
cross-references to a caption in a separate document. (I'm using Word
XP by the way - not sure if that matters in this case.)

I'd probably use the last option Stefan has described: bookmark all
captions in the graphics document and cross-reference to those from the
main document.

It also became evident today that Word's pagination doesn't have a
provision to automatically insert blank pages to fill out the last text
quire before the illustration quire begins. But a manual repagination
will deal with that when the time comes.

Hmm, if you keep everything in different documents anyway, this should
not matter, should it? All you can tell Word is to begin a new section
on an even or an odd page, but that won't help you if you need multiples
of 4, 8, 16, etc.

This is more a task for imposition software, I'd wager.

I guess this just isn't the way Microsoft thinks books should be made
these days.

Hmm, I doubt Microsoft spends too much time thinking of Word as a means
to produce books, these days.

Both you and me would hope it was otherwise! ;-)

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS