Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John McGhie

Default cross-refs across included documents

And the answer is: "Type them".

You cannot use cross-references outside the current document without
using a Master Document. If you use a master document, your troubles
are only just starting: it's a bad way to go.

Personally, I place my pictures inline with text, and in the position
they are required in the document. Then all the cross references
work.

Once you understand Word's picture placement mechanism, you won't have
problems with pictures moving out of place. The "secret" is to place
them all inline with text unless you absolutely require text either
side of them. If you must use floating pictures, make sure you know
where the anchor is and what will happen to it if you edit the
document.

In your case, you "could" use Picture Placeholders. Place a square
the correct size in your document at the correct position. Put a
caption on it, and cross-refer to that. After printing, you paste the
printed graphic over the top of it.

{Sigh} Thirty years of development to enable Word to automatically
handle pictures correctly, and the users go back to the pre-computer
methods of paste pot and scissors, rather than spend 20 minutes in the
Help looking up how to do this... :-)

Hope this helps

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:21:18 GMT, anon k wrote:

I'm trying to assemble a large document, and many of the included
(sub-)documents refer to the same illustrations. The illustrations all
go into one file of their own.

This results in several advantages: one image can be repeatedly cited
and still easily found; the whole run of illustrations can be printed on
a different paper stock; it eliminates problems from Word's shoddy text
flow algorithms that routinely ram illustrations into the margins and
separate them from their captions.

The question is, how should I insert the cross-references?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 4 1209 1410