The CreateDate field seems to be what you want. Is your issue only that you
are seeing the field code rather than the field results? Alt+F9 to toggle
this in the document as displayed. If the field code is actually printing,
clear the check box for "Field codes" on the Print tab of Tools | Options.

"Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com" wrote in
message ...
I am having problems with a date field and wondered if anyone could help.
When reopening a document I want to retain the date the document was
created.

I've tried createdate, but this doesn't change the date at all (even when
printing). Using CREATEDATE produced the following format:
{ CREATEDATE \@ "d MMMM YYYY" \* mergeformat }.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks