You'll have to open Normal.dot directly and modify it. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

"Phil James" wrote in message

Hello all!

I've just finished customizing Normal.dot to suit me, but I can't get
"automatic hyphenation" to "take." Everything else worked fine.

I'm using Word 2000 under Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad

A20m.

I go to "toolslanguagehyphenation," make the change, then go to
"formatstyle," make a change which I then reverse out later, check the

"add
to template" box, and save. I could change "page layout" using this
technique, but it doesn't work for "automatic hyphenation."

How can I get this feature into my Normal.dot?

Thanks...

Phil