Michael R

Suzanne was almost reading my mind. This was not a formatted document
or letter of some sort.

Actually, the data came from a DII text file used in a Legal program
called Summation. I needed to extract data from the file and in order
for me to do that, I needed a delimiter that notepad would understand.
I cut the text from notepad, pasted into word as NORMAL style, followed
Suzanne's instructions and was able to to place a tab between each line
of text and bring it into Excel. I was using Word as a holding area only.

Thank you both for responding. The DII file in question had something
like 20000 lines in it and was 400 pages long. Word saved the day. It
took about 10 minutes for the process to complete once I clicked replace all

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I assumed he was wanting to put a tab at the end of the line (as he said)
not the beginning. There can be good reasons for doing this. I do it once a
month when I split a list and drag half of it up beside the other half
(using Alt+Drag to column-select) to create a tabbed two-column list to go
in a single-column of four-column text.