Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Normal.dot Wasn't Being Saved

Apparently CC Cleaner screws up Word's registry settings so don't use it!

You may have to delete the settings sub key of the data key in the registry
in order for Word to rebuild it (see
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm ) which shows how to find
it. With that fixed, you can re-input your preferred settings. I would
recommend renaming normal.dot to oldnormal.dot (which will allow Word to
rebuild that) and repairing Word also. You can then copy your macros etc
from the oldnormal.dot to the new one using the organizer - see also
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Earl Grey wrote:
Hello again:

Thanks for your help.

Apologies to Suzanne for misunderstanding your original reply. Yes, I
have Acrobat Reader, not Acrobat itself.

In any case, it's good to know that Shift+File+Save All is an option.

Unfortunately, saving normal.dot over itself has proved fruitless. The
problem is back. And since I have no add-ins installed in Word, the
finger is pointing at CCleaner.

I have been using CCleaner for a while but have not experienced a
problem with normal.dot until recently. It might be that an update to
the program that is causing my problem.

The thing is, CCleaner is set to run at every restart, and the global
template did not reset itself for the first few restarts. My settings
in normal.dot seem to survive several restarts and opening/closings of
Word, but eventually the defaults return.

Something is getting in the way. I'll have to do some experimenting to
identify a culprit.

Earl Grey

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, Terry. I keep forgetting about CC Cleaner.