Brian Ellis

Well, it is not a standard MS format thats for sure. Word seems to recognise
only Block, Semi-block and Modified Block but there is less wasted space if
the sender's address is on the right and the recipient's address is on the
left and overlapping by a few lines. This layout is often seen where the
company details are preprinted on the right and recipient's address details
typed high on the left. It is a format that has been in use for over 50
years to my knowledge and results in a more compact, neater appearance,
IMHO.

So there is no solution in Word, then?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What you describe is not a standard format for any type of traditional
letter. The return address block/letterhead is always above the inside
address even if the former is aligned right of center (semi-block style).
See http://www.kanten.com/styleguide/pdfs/slsp.pdf or
http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/le...l_sblock_p.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Brian Ellis" wrote in message
Thanks but after typing the home address on the right, using the

paragraph
indent, I have been unable to type the recipients address on the left

side
of the page AND overlapping the home address by several lines without
disturbing the home address. Several lines of typing in each address

share
the same rows so typing on the left disturbs the right hand side.

Fields
would isolate the left from the right?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Nothing to do with fields. You can use a paragraph indent (easiest way

is
with the ruler; see

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm).
But given that you're in possession of something more sophisticated

than
typewriter, why don't you create a full-blown letterhead? See
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Brian Ellis" wrote in message
How do I layout the addresses in Word in the same style as in a hand
written
letter, ie the senders address top right and the recipients address

top
left
but set down two or three rows.

It must be something to do with Fields but I cannot figure it out

and
there
must be a simpler way.

The need to overlap the addresses means the text flies about in an
uncontrolled way.

Brian