Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cmfurgason

Default How to troubleshoot auto-complete problem in Word 2003

Hello Graham and thank you for taking time to answer my question. Your
repsonse seems to lead me to believe that Word 2003 doesn't work as well as
Word 97 where autotext fill-ins work quite well for Dear M... and today's
date.
--
cmfurgason

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I assume that you are talking about AutoText. This will only complete if the
letters you type are unique. I'll bet you have other autotexts called Dear
someone or other. You have to type sufficient letters for the autotecxt name
to prompt - here probably....... Dear M
If you know the autotext names you can type them and press F3, or you can
select them from the list.

The date autocomplete feature is frankly a cock-up. I would avoid that and
use either a createdate field in your (letterhead) template or use the
Insert date feature to insert a non-updating date or use a macro to insert
the date as text at the cursor.

cmfurgason wrote:
I have auto-complete turned on and things such as Dear Mom & Dad
don't work. I am current with MS downloads and patches and running
winxp sp2. The date feature will complete the current month, but
won't fill-in the current date unless I space over two spaces and
then backspace two spaces. How do I troubleshoot this problem?