FWIW, in such situations I often omit the colon--add a little more space
between the Name, Phone, Fax, etc., stubs and their values, maybe boldface
the descriptions, etc.

"Dan" wrote in message
Jay - Thank you for the Help!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Dan wrote:
How do I set a tab stop for colons ":" such that the text is aligned
vertically on the colon charater?

example Name:
Phone:
Fax:

Word has a decimal tab, but that works only for a period, not a colon.

(See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm.)

Instead, set up your tab stops this way (preferably in a style): Insert

right-aligned tab at the location for the colon, and a left-aligned tab
slightly to the right where you want the next text to start. On each

line,
starting from the left margin, type a tab, the label and colon, another

tab,
and the remaining text, like

tabName:tabGeorge Washington

Another alternative is to use a (possibly borderless) table with two
columns; set the first column's paragraph alignment to Right and set its
width as desired.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman