View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Error! No table of contents entries found.-Help

Hi Jack,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble creating a table of contents in Word 2000. The error message you're seeing usually means that Word can't find any text that has been marked for inclusion in the table of contents.

Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Check that your headings are formatted correctly: To be included in the table of contents, your headings need to be formatted using Word's built-in heading styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.). Make sure that your headings are formatted consistently and that you haven't accidentally changed the formatting of any of them.
  2. Update the table of contents field: If you've made changes to your document since you last updated the table of contents, you'll need to update the field to include those changes. To do this, place your cursor in the table of contents and press F9. This should update the field and include any new headings.
  3. Check the table of contents options: Word's table of contents options allow you to specify which heading levels should be included in the table of contents. Make sure that the options are set correctly for your document. To access the options, right-click on the table of contents and select "Edit Field". Then click on the "Table of Contents" button and review the options.
  4. Try creating a new table of contents: If all else fails, you can try creating a new table of contents from scratch. To do this, select "Insert" from the menu bar, then "Index and Tables", then "Table of Contents". Make sure that the "Show page numbers" and "Right align page numbers" options are selected, then click "OK". Word should create a new table of contents based on your document's headings.

I hope one of these solutions works for you. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help with.