Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Mixed protection styles

You can protect specific sections of a form and leave others unprotected,
but you will need to insert section breaks to divide the sections. You then
have to use Tools | Protect Document (rather than the padlock button on the
Forms toolbar) for the initial protection. This will allow you to specify
which sections are to be protected.

"Stephen Quist" wrote in message
Hi,

With Word 2003 I'm trying to set up a document with mixed form and

free-form
elements.

I would like the document to have a region with check boxes that behave as
check boxes and possibly some text fields.
Another region of the document would have tables, real Word Tables, that

are
filled in by one or more reviewers. The tables are variable in size and

the
users should be able to expand the tables as necessary.

I have the check boxes in place but when a user clicks on one he get a
dialog box to specify whether it should be checked or unchecked. I
understand this is normal when the "Protect Form" lock is off. When I set
Protect Form, the check box behaves normally. It clicks on and off just as
it should. The trouble comes when I try to then edit the tables. They are
protected also so nobody can enter any data into them.

So I tried Protect Document. I can select the tables in the document and
permit users to freely edit the tables. OK, that's good. But then the

check
boxes are rendered inactive. That's bad. I tried selecting the region with
the check boxes and set that to be freely editable. I can change the check
boxes, but now only through the dialog box! I'm back where I started -- if
the users can enter text in the tables they can interact with the check
boxes through the dialog box only.

Am I missing something? Is there a way get a portion of the document
protected for forms and the rest of the document unprotected for editing?

Steve